New cadet reporting for duty [TV Stations]

Discussions about the series itself.
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

New cadet reporting for duty [TV Stations]

Post by Mark Lungo »

Hi,I'm Mark Lungo, nerd from Cleveland. I once paid $60 for a VHS tape with five Galaxy Rangers episodes. Later, I paid about half that much for DVDs of the entire series, complete with extras and commentary. I'm happy to be here.

P.S. Shameless self-promotion! Be sure to check out my RPG Crimestrikers.
"Commander, there's a man on that planet by the name of Hartford, trying to save the Tarkonians, and you, and me, and everyone who doesn't want to be a slave, pilgrim."
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Re: New cadet reporting for duty

Post by RabbiBob »

Hi Mark, good to see you around!

Is Cartoon Action Hour a universal RPG rule-set that gets built upon (you create an episode that sits atop the rules)?
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

RabbiBob wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pmHi Mark, good to see you around!
Good to be seen!
RabbiBob wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pmIs Cartoon Action Hour a universal RPG rule-set that gets built upon (you create an episode that sits atop the rules)?
Thank you for your interest! As to your question, ummm... I think so. I've got to admit, even though I've created an RPG, I'm not really a gamer. Crimestrikers came out as a game because I know the publisher of Cartoon Action Hour, and when I showed it to her she liked it enough to want to publish it. Although I wrote everything pertaining to the characters and stories, I left writing the stats to the professionals.
"Commander, there's a man on that planet by the name of Hartford, trying to save the Tarkonians, and you, and me, and everyone who doesn't want to be a slave, pilgrim."
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

Here's some Galaxy Rangers-related stuff I've written online that I should have mentioned before.

* The series' main page at TV Tropes. I created the page and wrote the initial entry, although many people have contributed since then.

* The character sheet at TV Tropes. Same as above.

* A list of stations that ran the series, posted at radiodiscussions.com. Mostly taken from Starlog, although I found two stations that they didn't include.
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

Nice, we'll have to add those to the site lists!

The best I could narrow down Denver was the following, that might be something I can as RD to put up as a question on the podcast.
  • 1952 Denver 2 34 KWGN-TV CW This TV on 2.2
  • 1953 Denver 4 35 KCNC-TV CBS Decades on 4.2
  • 1956 Denver 6 18 KRMA-TV PBS PBS Kids on 6.2, Create/World on 6.3
  • 1952 Denver 7 7 KMGH-TV ABC Azteca (KZCO-LD simulcast) on 7.2, News on 7.4
  • 1952 Denver 9 9 KUSA NBC Weather on 9.2, Justice Network on 9.3, HD feed of main channel on 9.4
  • 1983 Denver 31 32 KDVR Fox Antenna TV on 31.2
MaryNiko
Slaverlord

Post by MaryNiko »

Mark, did you do that in tvtropers? Well thank you very much ... because there was the first time I had knowledge of what a fanfic was, I did not know that they existed, and much less of GR ... and after reading what they had there, it was when I started looking for more. ..and not only did I find my beloved fanfics, I also found Betamountain. And then to the series6 and Rabbibob.
In short: thanks to you, now you have to put up with me! :-P
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

MaryNiko wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm Mark, did you do that in tvtropers? Well thank you very much ... because there was the first time I had knowledge of what a fanfic was, I did not know that they existed, and much less of GR ... and after reading what they had there, it was when I started looking for more. ..and not only did I find my beloved fanfics, I also found Betamountain. And then to the series6 and Rabbibob.
In short: thanks to you, now you have to put up with me! :-P
Glad to be of service! :D
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

RabbiBob wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 pm Nice, we'll have to add those to the site lists!

The best I could narrow down Denver was the following, that might be something I can as RD to put up as a question on the podcast.
  • 1952 Denver 2 34 KWGN-TV CW This TV on 2.2
  • 1953 Denver 4 35 KCNC-TV CBS Decades on 4.2
  • 1956 Denver 6 18 KRMA-TV PBS PBS Kids on 6.2, Create/World on 6.3
  • 1952 Denver 7 7 KMGH-TV ABC Azteca (KZCO-LD simulcast) on 7.2, News on 7.4
  • 1952 Denver 9 9 KUSA NBC Weather on 9.2, Justice Network on 9.3, HD feed of main channel on 9.4
  • 1983 Denver 31 32 KDVR Fox Antenna TV on 31.2
Thanks for the research, Bob! Technically, KUBD Channel 59 (now KPXC) might have carried Galaxy Rangers since it signed on in 1987, but that's not very likely; according to its Wikipedia entry, "the station aired financial news programming from the Financial News Network during the daytime hours and ran a general entertainment schedule at night". I guess I'll have to study old TV listings or hope that a Denver-area GR fan can solve the mystery.
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

KXXX was a Denver FM station, CBS affiliate. Unsure how that works out for making a TV broadcast list though.

Saw the Starlog 125 list and then googled "Denver KXXX" and started drilling from there.
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

Thanks for (kind of) solving the mystery, Bob! My theory: Maybe KXXX planned to start a TV station that would have carried Galaxy Rangers if it had ever signed on.