Galoob catalog mystery

Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Re: Galoob catalog mystery

Post by Mark Lungo »

Thanks for your posts, MaryNiko! The Galaxy Laser is a real find--i'd never even heard of it till now. I wonder if that item was something Galoob planned to make, or if Ideal came up with it on their own.
"Commander, there's a man on that planet by the name of Hartford, trying to save the Tarkonians, and you, and me, and everyone who doesn't want to be a slave, pilgrim."
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

Just now noticed the horses' action features: "light-up heads and an action switch which throws the rider off." (That''' teach me to skim the text too quickly!) Those would have been really cool features, especially if you wanted to have one of the villains try to steal one of the horses. They really should have been called Cybersteeds, though.
"Commander, there's a man on that planet by the name of Hartford, trying to save the Tarkonians, and you, and me, and everyone who doesn't want to be a slave, pilgrim."
Killbane
Series 1 Ranger

Post by Killbane »

the lever on the back of the doll, makes him move his arm and desenfunde the gun.
Attachments
IMG-20190310-WA0055.jpg
IMG-20190310-WA0055.jpg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
IMG-20190310-WA0058.jpg
IMG-20190310-WA0058.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
IMG-20190310-WA0056.jpg
IMG-20190310-WA0056.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

Killbane wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:50 pm the lever on the back of the doll, makes him move his arm and desenfunde [draw] the gun.
I remember, because I used to have the figures. It's a nice feature, although I have two problems with it:

1. While the figure's normal arm had a regular shoulder joint, the gun-holding arm had limited mobility because of the spring-loaded action feature. You could make the arm "fire", then click it back into place--and that was it. I have to say that Mattel executed this feature better with their Bravestarr line--the Bravestarr and Tex Hex figures had a similar "quick draw" feature, but their arms could also move normally and had more articulation, with elbow and wrist joints. Oh, and the guns weren't glued into the figures' hands.

2. Also, Galoob gave every Galaxy Rangers figure the quick draw feature, whether it suited the character or not. Seriously, did the Queen even own a gun? This is similar to their Defenders of the Earth line, where every character had a knob that made its fists punch out; since when did Mandrake ever hit anybody? Dude let his magic do the talking.

Thanks for letting me rant about this stuff; I've been holding it in for decades.
MaryNiko
Slaverlord

Post by MaryNiko »

Mark Lungo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:11 pm
Killbane wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:50 pm the lever on the back of the doll, makes him move his arm and desenfunde [draw] the gun.
I remember, because I used to have the figures. It's a nice feature, although I have two problems with it:

1. While the figure's normal arm had a regular shoulder joint, the gun-holding arm had limited mobility because of the spring-loaded action feature. You could make the arm "fire", then click it back into place--and that was it. I have to say that Mattel executed this feature better with their Bravestarr line--the Bravestarr and Tex Hex figures had a similar "quick draw" feature, but their arms could also move normally and had more articulation, with elbow and wrist joints. Oh, and the guns weren't glued into the figures' hands.

2. Also, Galoob gave every Galaxy Rangers figure the quick draw feature, whether it suited the character or not. Seriously, did the Queen even own a gun? This is similar to their Defenders of the Earth line, where every character had a knob that made its fists punch out; since when did Mandrake ever hit anybody? Dude let his magic do the talking.

Thanks for letting me rant about this stuff; I've been holding it in for decades.
WoW !!! Do not shut up, Mark! we listen to you with attention! The truth is that I do not know why the figure of the queen has a weapon, and horses have eyes.
and if the dolls were not white and blue with a badge... we would not know who they are. the most "real" to the series are Slade and Kidd.
Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Post by Mark Lungo »

MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmWoW !!! Do not shut up, Mark! we listen to you with attention!
That is very nice to hear. Thanks, MaryNiko!
MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmThe truth is that I do not know why the figure of the queen has a weapon, and horses have eyes.
I can only speculate about the Queen, but as for the horses, I'm sure that Galoob chose to save money by reusing the horse molds from their Golden Girl and the Guardians of the Gemstones line.
MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmand if the dolls were not white and blue with a badge... we would not know who they are. the most "real" to the series are Slade and Kidd.
I have some more comments about the figures. I like the 7" scale, and the facial likenesses are mostly good (although Zach and the Queen could have been better), but (as previously noted) the articulation could have been improved, and Niko should have been part of the first series. Also, I never liked that Galoob used glossy paint for the blue on the Ranger uniforms; I would have preferred matte paint instead.

For that matter, if Galoob was going to give the Ranger figures built-in action features, I wish they had been activated by touching the badge, just like on the show. I understand why they didn't do this--it wouldn't have worked with the villains, and they wanted all the figures to have a back lever to accommodate the Zap Pack--but it would have been a nice touch. Imagine a Zach figure where you touch his badge and the Thunderbolt fires from his cyborg arm, possibly with a light-and-sound action. That would have been awesome!
MaryNiko
Slaverlord

Post by MaryNiko »

Mark Lungo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:00 pm
MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmWoW !!! Do not shut up, Mark! we listen to you with attention!
That is very nice to hear. Thanks, MaryNiko!
MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmThe truth is that I do not know why the figure of the queen has a weapon, and horses have eyes.
I can only speculate about the Queen, but as for the horses, I'm sure that Galoob chose to save money by reusing the horse molds from their Golden Girl and the Guardians of the Gemstones line.
MaryNiko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pmand if the dolls were not white and blue with a badge... we would not know who they are. the most "real" to the series are Slade and Kidd.
I have some more comments about the figures. I like the 7" scale, and the facial likenesses are mostly good (although Zach and the Queen could have been better), but (as previously noted) the articulation could have been improved, and Niko should have been part of the first series. Also, I never liked that Galoob used glossy paint for the blue on the Ranger uniforms; I would have preferred matte paint instead.

For that matter, if Galoob was going to give the Ranger figures built-in action features, I wish they had been activated by touching the badge, just like on the show. I understand why they didn't do this--it wouldn't have worked with the villains, and they wanted all the figures to have a back lever to accommodate the Zap Pack--but it would have been a nice touch. Imagine a Zach figure where you touch his badge and the Thunderbolt fires from his cyborg arm, possibly with a light-and-sound action. That would have been awesome!
copyright for that idea, Mark! I would love that!!!!!!!!
and to me Niko, you touch the badge and her eyes change color, and my Goose would turn silver or gold, and Doc would come out a rhombus with blue light of the CPU ....
I imagine, and I see it!
uffffff, I need to touch me the lottery ...

I totally agree with you, although if the figures were higher, a Barby would serve me as Niko. ;)
And I did not know about the other Galoob horses ...THX
Attachments
Imagine...I saw it: power is in my mind...
Imagine...I saw it: power is in my mind...
Screenshot_2019-02-21-23-27-20.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 3959 times