Prototypes?

Mark Lungo
Black Hole Gang Member

Re: Prototypes?

Post by Mark Lungo »

Interesting find, Bob! Apparently Galoob wasn't the only toy company interested in Galaxy Rangers. I wonder if it would have made any difference in the franchise's fortunes if Tonka had gotten the license instead...

BTW, who's this guy? The show has so many characters that I can't remember them all.

"Commander, there's a man on that planet by the name of Hartford, trying to save the Tarkonians, and you, and me, and everyone who doesn't want to be a slave, pilgrim."
MaryNiko
Slaverlord

Post by MaryNiko »

Mark Lungo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:44 pm Interesting find, Bob! Apparently Galoob wasn't the only toy company interested in Galaxy Rangers. I wonder if it would have made any difference in the franchise's fortunes if Tonka had gotten the license instead...

BTW, who's this guy? The show has so many characters that I can't remember them all.

I think this character is the one who tries to kidnap Eliza on the ship, and who does not succeed because GV puts on the screen the funny video of one playing the sax.

I do not know how to locate those prototypes in time: perhaps they are the ones that Red Sky and Hiperchild announced in 2005 that they were going to launch? They said they would make a multitude of characters, and that one in question is not one of the important ones:

https://toynewsi.com/1-6102
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

Mark Lungo wrote: BTW, who's this guy? The show has so many characters that I can't remember them all.

That's MEATFACE!!!!!!

RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

MaryNiko wrote:I do not know how to locate those prototypes in time: perhaps they are the ones that Red Sky and Hiperchild announced in 2005 that they were going to launch?
From the Ebay desc, they would be around the time of the show (1970-1990).
eBay wrote:
About Where This Came From:

First, this came from a 1970-1990's Tonka designer executives home. He passed some time ago, this collection includes MANY product samples, packaging prototypes, etc. I will likely miss some and classify them as just basic stock. Some may have generic price tags as he was going to sell them shortly before his death. So this at worst is a standard product, could be something more. If questions ask, I got around 1,000 items in this collection. Comes as shown.

Tonka Made Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers?:

Given Tonka never released Galaxy Rangers. I put the question to the Director of R&D and Engineering at Tonka during this period. He stated “Wondering if the Marketing and Design Department were considering licensing Galaxy Rangers and started working on the line but didn't make the cut for a Product Turnover”. He continued “Licensor's many times allow various companies to produce action figures and vehicles for specific sizes, i.e., 1" to 3-1/2" figures and another company may be granted 4" - 7" figures, etc. With defined price points. Further, various sizes from the various companies may or may not be territory restricted”.

Condition:

This is a hardcopy, this would be one of 6 or so originally made. The arm has a crack I thought it best to leave unrepaired and allow buyer to do that. If you want to learn about hardcopies continue reading. When they were needed they were used to make the following. Steel molds tooling master for production. Paintmaster was for showing the final product colors. The photography sample, as the hardcopy version has more detail than the steps that follow it. Photography is generally done before the figure is even finished. Packaging sample or a carded mock-up paired with a matching proof card to show how the final packaged toy will look. Office copy in case of questions. Hardcopies made from a negative silicone mold will be slightly larger than the final finished toy. This also allows for shrinkage on the final product. Hardcopies are made from Urethane resin and can be found painted, unpainted, as well as assembled or unassembled.
RojDojRanger
Gherkin

Post by RojDojRanger »

RabbiBob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 pm
Mark Lungo wrote: BTW, who's this guy? The show has so many characters that I can't remember them all.

That's MEATFACE!!!!!!

This figure has an ape -oid type face instead of a dog -oid type face. That makes this Meatface closer to a description of "Meatface light" --OO! OO! I've got it! "Meatface Tofu" !! lol
To paraphrase my RojRule #3: Save the Bovo 6 poop for the cow pastures--not my Star Boots...
RojDojRanger
Gherkin

Post by RojDojRanger »

RojDojRanger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 pm
This figure has an ape -oid type face instead of a dog -oid type face. That makes this Meatface closer to a description of "Meatface light" --OO! OO! I've got it! "Meatface Tofu" !! lol
I just posted about expressing some positivity in another post so I should mention the texture of this action figure and the tail on "Meatface Tofu" are top notch...
To paraphrase my RojRule #3: Save the Bovo 6 poop for the cow pastures--not my Star Boots...
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

:lol: