Digital models for 3D printing

If posting items that are not your own, please include attribution and\or the source of the item!
Forum rules
If posting items that are not your own, please include attribution and\or the source of the item!
Iskelderon

Digital models for 3D printing

Post by Iskelderon »

I was looking for a some new display pieces the other day and decided to model the two hero ships.
Right now, Ranger One is mostly printed and the fuselage of the Interceptor is printing as I type this.

Seems like the image upload isn't working, so check out these galleries:
Ranger One: https://imgur.com/a/1Nh3VVO
Ranger Interceptor https://imgur.com/a/4tSKzY3
MaryNiko
Slaverlord

Re: Digital models for 3D printing

Post by MaryNiko »

Wow! they are wonderful!
the truth is that I don't know which of the 2
I like the most. Congratulations. a great job!👏👏
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

Seems like the image upload isn't working
- I had the file size limit fairly low, it should be slightly more useful now. Testing...
vfELQED.png
vfELQED.png (205.36 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
First: very cool!

Next, what platform are you using to model?

When I did the Interceptor I started finding out how different everyone drew it, which sometimes was a little frustrating.
Iskelderon

Post by Iskelderon »

Thanks!
I know the feeling. I basically started with a ton of screencaps, picked a side view, stretched a front view until it matched the with in perspective (head-on views are always more narrow than the actual design when it's in motion).
Ranger One was less work, I basically made a composite of several shots and always replaced elements with bits and pieces from other shots that showed more details until I had a starting point I was satisfied with.
I've been using 3ds Max for close to two decades, so it was easy to play around and work out the basic shape.
RabbiBob
Site Admin

Post by RabbiBob »

That's great. I pretty much found the same thing with the screencaps. The one I ended up on has a slightly larger bottom engine that most shots that were clean, but I liked it and used that one as a base reference.

https://youtu.be/-ICOyET65Kg

I kept poking at Blender for awhile here and there. Roughly three years ago I made a Lazarus Slade funko (using a male template as the starting point) and then I started using Fusion360 for year. Once the last batch of changes started with F360, combined with the hassle of offline work, I gave Blender another go and manage the Interceptor from scratch. It was odd, taking a break from it and coming back to it after awhile was helpful.

This is a view-around of the model before I broke it down for printing. I have yet to look hard into materials and surfacing within Blender as this is all a spare time sort of thing for me (mostly winter months) and one of my bigger issues is keeping at it to progress the skills.

To finish mine I need to work out some decent pegs or interlocks (with limited time, I am leaning towards pegs).